Monday, March 29, 2010

Red Bud











.


(Repost)
.
Eastern Redbud: Cercis canadensis
.
Whoever thought to call these things "Red Bud" must have been color blind. (though I have seen a few very pale, and white versions). Red Bud function as one of my marker trees. I figure when I see them that Spring has just finished her first trimester. (Bloomin season in Central Arkansas started in early March, and hit the zenith week right now... March 19) And there is nothing like the color hum that you get when Redbud reach into bold blue skies, in combination with the new limon color of the new oaks.
.
I will admit, the photos here seem to be of citified Redbuds. The country version features thinner threes, often reaching in an around the underbrush like strewn chords. And while its kind of hard to see here, the Redbud have a distinctive line to the branch, featuring an alternating, but understated zig.

No comments: